Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Happy Baseball Birthday... Matt Boyd

Today we say Happy Baseball Birthday! to Detroit Tigers pitcher Matt Boyd. 







Matthew Robert Boyd  was born on February 2, 1991 in Bellevue, Washington and played baseball in high schhol at Eastside Catholic HS in Sammamish, Washington.




After high school Matt moved on to play collegiate baseball for the Beavers at Oregon State.



Matt was originall drafted in 2012 by the Cincinnati Reds (rd. 13), but returned to Oregon State, and in 2013 he was drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays in the 6th round of the amatuer baseball draft.




Matt made his big league debut on June 27, 2015 for Toronto, before being traded to the Detroit Tigers in the David Price deal on July 30th.



On August 5th Matt made his Tigers debut, allowing 1 run on 7 hits in 7 innings of work.




When I heard about the Tigers acquisition of Matt I was very happy that my team got such a quality young pitching prospect, but the fact that his last name was Boyd, well, Matt instantly gained a new fan in yours truly... John Boyd.


Yes, my middle name is Boyd.


Boyd isn't a household name.



My middle name was given to me by my Dad, who at the time worked for and admired a Kalamazoo businessman named Boyd Alan Sutton.



My entire life growing up as a kid all my relatives called me Boyd, and so anytime I heard my name, such as in former big league pitcher Dennis "Oil Can" Boyd of the Red Sox, I'd always pay attention to that players career.



So, when Matt Boyd made his debut for my beloved Tigers, well, I was extatic, and, well, I'm hoping to get a #48 BOYD Tigers jersey for my 56th Birthday later this month.






Heck, maybe I'll be able too meet the one and only Matt Boyd during Spring Training this year.



Matt will be facing a big challenge in the spring as the Tigers have established starters in veterans like Justin Verlander, Jordan Zimmermann, Anibal Sanchez, Shane Greene, Mike Pelfrey, and buddy Daniel Norris, who came over from the Blue Jays in the trade.



I hope he makes the club, of course, and I've heard nothing but good things about Matt's pitching future in Motown.




You can find Matt on Twitter... @mattboyd31 ...he's a great guy...and remember, you can always talk baseball with me on Twitter... @freehan11 ...




Matt Boyd has worn the Olde English D, and that means once a Tiger, Always a Tiger!



It all starts on February 19th when pitchers and catchers report to Tiger Town in Lakeland, Florida.



Happy Baseball Birthday! Matt Boyd... Go Tigers!


No comments:

Post a Comment